"Bloodchild" Response (2pts)

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

My initial reaction is a similar desire to that of Gan’s elder brother, Qui, in that I want each Terran family to be free of the Tlic. While the relationship dynamic between Gan and T’Gatoi is endlessly fascinating, it’s hard not to feel disgusted by the portrayal of the Ntlic and what essentially boils down to child grooming by T’Gatoi towards Gan. This story is eerie in normalizing this new facet that humanity has adopted to survive. The first couple paragraphs of this story read more like a typical family gathering instead of an alien visiting the family she is responsible for keeping imprisoned or ‘safe.’ It’s genius, but it leaves my stomach in knots- which is a sign of a great story. 

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?

I connected a lot with Gan as someone who is not entirely innocent of what is happening but is certainly naive. Just like any virginal teenager has some understanding of sex, no diagram or idle gossip will truly make it out to be what it really is. Gan knows his role and, in fact, embraces it until confronted with the reality of the Ntlic. I connected with him in the sense that I remember what it was like to be that kid so hellbent on growing up and doing adult things but having no idea what I was really getting myself into. Just as Gan was confronted with reality, so was I. It’s not a great feeling, but Gan is able to reclaim some of his own power by maturing and confronting T’Gatoi. That, despite the overall unease of this piece, is somewhat comforting. Despite what little power Gan really has in this relationship, he can at least get T’Gatoi to recognize what it is she’s asking of him. 

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?

If I were to adapt this, I would make it into a short comic. I think it would be insanely neat to see what the Tlic look like compared to humans, making those moments of closeness to Gan that much more unnerving. That loses some of the ambiguity that makes the text version of the story so cool, but I think with really tight, precise paneling an artist can accomplish much of the same feelings. I wouldn’t change the base story of this piece, but I might add on moments that Gan brushes over like meeting other Tlic and explaining to them the relationship T’Gatoi has fostered with him. I think that would also be a really neat moment which would make the reveal and final conflict that much more powerful in a comic format. 

4. Are there elements of this work that you would consider afro-futurist?

I think the afro-futurist elements of this work are a bit harder to see than in Butler’s other works. Here, she’s asking how relationships would evolve and how would humanity would pay the rent in the future? These ideas, however, can be related to how the black community has adapted to ‘pay the rent’ or just to continue existing in this country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Two: Interview with a Vampire (6 pts)

Week Ten: "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" (1pts)

Week Fifteen: Future Exercises (6pts for all 3 questions)